Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Proud to be indie: First jog of the summer

I drifted to sleep recently as Oliver Sacks told Jon Stewart that rhythm is one of the last thing that goes as one mentally deteriorates (5:17). This thought returned to me during my jog tonight. Near-daily jogs were my routine in spring 2008. They marked progress in life, and created a rhythm syncopated with measures of my caloric intake. I was feeling stressed and alone in an unfamiliar city; the personal challenge of running and diet gave me a sense of accomplishment, spirit and dignity.

The main reason I jogged today was to clear my head, because I've been feeling sluggish lately. I'm worried about my health - having gained weight and visited the snack and coffee bar too often. In my first run since April (?), running reminded me of rhythm, and basic survival.

1 hour, 3 miles.

No comments: