Monday, April 7, 2008

You can't always look cool when you run

Despite my best efforts, I never actually look cool when I run. Take this photo from the 2008 Shamrock marathon, for example. This is what I like to call my ninja costume, which includes black mittens and a hat when it's really cold out.

My roommates think I'm crazy for leaving the house dressed like this when it's below freezing and the wind is howling. I enjoy the comments I get from random people on the street -- everything from the classic "run, Forrest, run!" to not-so-veiled references to Yao Ming, the basketball player for the Houston Rockets.

Running requires a minimum level of unabashedness. People will always think you're crazy for voluntarily running in all weather conditions, up to 26.2 miles at a time. (I leave ultra-marathons to the truly insane.) I think that's part of the joy of running. Being the "crazy runner guy/girl" in your social circles confers a certain cachet. And running in a pack of crazy people just for fun (i.e., a road race) is about as good as it gets.

So the next time you hesitate to look stupid while running, remember this blog post and take heart in knowing you're not the only one out there.

No comments: