Friday, November 28, 2008

Catch-Up Post: MCM 2008 (KQB's Version)

It's been over a month since I ran my 2nd MCM (I know, I know, the "more updates to come" has been a long time coming). Since then I've done a couple more races (time trial with the JQUS boys cross-country team and a blogidarity Turkey Trot).

MCM #2 was infnitely better than MCM #1. I came down to D.C. as ready as I could be given the derailing effects of my first two months as a teacher and a knee injury in the Nahant 30K, but still buoyant from a summer of training hard on the Charles River and at CRC track workouts. I felt well-prepared, having learned my lesson after overheating from MCM #1's outfit of UnderArmour, long pants, and a jacket. I came down armed with a suitcase full of tutu, ibuprofen, a phone holder, vanilla Gu, RaceReady shorts and non-chafing sports bra tank top.

JTT's and my joint MCM evite had alerted our friends and family to our running plans, and my parents finally understood how important it was for me that they come out and spectate. The night before, Kristen made me some lovely pasta with sausage and veggies and we caught up while carbo-loading. I woke up bright and early the next day, packed up my stuff, put on an old pair of pants and a sweatshirt, and went with my dad to Rosslyn. I walked to the start line and got there in time to deposit all my stuff at bag check, put on the tutu, and safety pin the tutu to my shorts. I learned an important lesson: do not safety pin shorts to a tutu unless you have already peed. Undoing all that clothing in the port-a-potty was quite traumatic, but not as traumatic as being late to the start in 2005--I absolutely detest being rushed and late at a race start. In spite of all the tutu re-doing, I was still able to meet James at the 4:29-5:00 start pillar. Note to self: line up a half an hour faster than goal time because the first six miles do not thin out whatsoever. Other note to self: RaceReady shorts have a pocket that is perfectly sized for an LG VX8700, which enabled me to find James in the mess of people.

The starting gun went off and it took us about five minutes to get to the actual start line from our place in the crowd. I was so glad to have James to chat with as I ran. Usually I listen to an ipod but I don't like to do that for races. James' cheerfulness kept me going, as did the cheering crowds. Almost bit of the course was lined with proud spectators. I may start the era of TutuGirl--I got so many cheers for my bizarre outfit, and they kept me smiling even though knee pain and fatigue. I first saw my parents near the Spout Run Giant, holding a Go Hoos foam finger and happily cheering. I hugged them both and said "see you on the Mall!" as James and I scooted off. I only started feeling pain around mile 15-16--the same pain from the Nahant 30K, but I took four ibuprofens and decided to finish the race.

By then we had made it through Hains Point (thankfully much earlier in the course) and sung Livin on a Prayer at 13.1 miles. We made it to mile 19 together, seeing my parents and siblings near the National Mall as well as James' pals holding awesome signs for him. I saw old runner friends brandishing beer while dressed as cops and robbers near mile 22--that put a smile on my face as the weather got hotter and my enthusiasm started to flag. Miles 22-26 were definitely the hardest. I was so tempted to walk, but started hearing my old cross-country coach saying "anything's better than a walk" in my head. I unexpectedly saw Janet and Jay cheering in matching Chris Cooley jerseys at mile 25, for which I am forever grateful. Route 110 felt much lonelier than Hains Point, and their smiling faces got my spirits back up. Soo and AQB appeared again in mile 26, and AQB ran with me until the beginning of the Iwo Jima ascent.

The trek up the last hill felt different than the first time. Back in 2005 I'd felt incredibly happy just to finish and sprinted up the last bit of it, bursting into tears of joy at the end. This year, I could only muster up the sprinting for the last 50 yards or so, and only cried a little bit at the end, but I felt infinitely prouder. Next year, I'm going for 4:15!

No comments: