Monday, November 10, 2008

Leadership from behind

If the authors of this blog were to run together in real life, I'd be the leader that closes the pack. Like an exclamation point, we'd be a clump of runners, and then there would be me, separated and behind. I probably have more weight to lose, and perhaps the least likely to take up modern dance (or ballet) as an alternative sport. I'm the least likely, I bet, to go to the gym, or even to resist eating an entire set of Kit Kat candy bar, a cookie and a brownie in the course of a six-hour, sit-down, catered meeting.

And yet I believe that I can beat my speeds- through consistent practice, and by setting up social situations that will goad me into engaging in one of the simplest practices of physical fitness I can commit to and enjoy.

No comments: