Friday, September 24, 2010

quitting running, take 2

I just decided not to run one of my fall half marathons. Working two jobs and coaching my high school's running club have left so little time to train that I would probably make an ass of myself trying to even run a half right now. 10K was doable last week, but I won't be able to even get in a long run before Smuttynose because, guess what, I am helping with a CRC long run.

I'm getting increasingly depressed about my stagnation with respect to running and losing weight, and am also quitting CRC for a while. My goal of losing ten pounds and ten minutes off my half marathon time never even got started this summer. I feel like going into hermit mode and just saying NO to future stuff just so I can at least have a yoga class or solitary run to myself.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

This depresses me. But I also have seen my time commitments this fall grow and my health waver (related?) and I'm losing running in the mix. I feel for you, KQB, and hope you find a balance that allows you to be fit and happy. If you do, please tell me how!

Kristina Buenafe said...

Thanks for the supportiveness, Wendy. I don't think I ever have had that balance between being fit and happy--the last time I felt happy with my fitness level, I was absolutely miserable in life.

I would like to get to the point where all my work is done by 6:00 p.m. so I can go to evening yoga classes and then wake up early to go running. I'm devoting so much time to coaching my school's running club right now that I find myself only starting my planning and grading work after practice. I might quit Kaplan for a while since I've been asked to oversee the after-school clubs at school as well.

How do you envision finding the balance?

Wendy said...

I keep thinking that after the half (10.10.10), my schedule will ease (that's assuming I've been running, which isn't the case these past two weeks), then after the election, easier. After my ESL class is done in November/December, I'll finally have time again.

But I keep agreeing to sub, and agreeing to watch my friend's daughter, and so on...I think the balance will come 1. when I'm over this cold (which has forced me to pare down) and 2. when I make sure I'm only taking on one or two time commitments (volunteering, baby-sitting) above work per week. I think that will be my new rule.

Kristina Buenafe said...

I like that rule of only 1-2 commitments above work per week. Between Oct. 3 and Jan. 31, I will not sign up for any more Kaplans (unless it's proctoring in which I can do my grading), and will not volunteer for CRC runs unless I've gotten back to 30 miles per week.