Sunday, March 13, 2011

Today, I did...

THIS.  It was a first run back after a long break.  I've been hitting the gym recently, but not run since the day of my accident.  Having missed a few group runs, I was eager to be back among my people, er, Turtles.  We did a weird loopy thing in a neighborhood (a neighborhood full of loud dogs, as we learned): we looped up and around, then zig-zagged through the side streets ("snake in a basket").  We trotted at a leisurely pace (11:15-ish), and soon I was leading the pack with a few other ladies and feeling fine.  Turns out my fitness hasn't deteriorated that rapidly!

Now here's the issue:  I took two months off from actively training to recover from the car accident.  I'm really unlikely to PR in either the Hermes 10-Miler or the Cleveland half-marathon (late April and mid-May, respectively).  I'm loathe to spend the money on races in which I won't do well (I have no doubt I can train to finish them, but we're not breaking two hours in the half this soon, no siree).  After today's good run, I think I will register for the 10-Miler for fun, and look to break two hours in the half at Columbus or Towpath half-marathons in the fall.  Reasonable?  But since I was hoping to get a full in this year, I wonder if I should try for that instead.  Thoughts?

No comments: