Friday, January 9, 2009

gym rat

Well, I joined a gym. The staff know I run, and run a lot and have (jokingly, I hope) threatened to pull me off the treadmills. BUT, they have a different movie everyday that plays on a wall in a CINEMA (I kid you not) with rows and rows of cardio equipment in it! At first, I thought it was kind of lame, but as the threat of an 18- to 20-miler on a treadmill looms (along with the forecast), maybe running while watching “The Dark Knight,” or ANYTHING is the way to go. Today, I did about three miles at a tempo-y pace (6.6 MPH, or 9:05), then swam some 12-14 laps (I gather that’s something like fifth of a mile?). I have a (free!) appointment with a very beefy and blonde trainer on Monday morning; I will wait for his advice to start a lifting program.

My RoadID arrived and is lovely and red. I strapped it on my wrist this morning as I headed for the towpath. Not that it was visible under the layers (nor was I ever unconscious, so…win?). For once, I planned effectively for the temperature (tights under old man pants, wicking tee, compression mock, windbreaker, hat, gloves, trail shoes) and kept warm (and upright) without overheating. I opted for six miles instead of twelve (and gladly so! There were some massive paw prints in the snow that I only noticed on the way back. I would not have been able to outrun a beast of such size at the end of a longer run).

I’ve been reading ChiRunning, by Danny Dreyer, and tried working today on posture, and I ’m pretty sure that was the fastest six miles I’ve ever run (threat of a beastie, notwithstanding). I implore you, read the book! I find most books on running theory or training spout the same advice over and over again (which is great if you haven’t heard it before), but I think ChiRunning might just (or could just) revolutionize how we run. The rest of my reading list includes a book on treadmill training from the library, and another on weight training for runners (the latter of which I so far like).

So it’s been going really well. I’ve been nailing 30-32 miles per week (half indoor, half outdoor- better than I expected to be able to do this winter), and am now adding cross-training and lifting. My weight went down a couple of pounds, but hasn’t dropped like I thought it would with more consistent mileage. I will bring this up with the beefcake, too.

Update: the BUSATS guys have my money and I’m definitely in the raffle, so keep your fingers crossed that I get that number (which I will take as a sign that I am destined to do it)!