Sunday, January 4, 2009

Skittish.

I run with abandon, and generally without any possession other than an iPod or car key. I feel as though my luck and safety have been pushed, and I ordered a RoadID to tell people how to reach my emergency contacts should I be found unconscious by the side of the road/towpath/wherever I may run (though, if I am found thus next to my treadmill, I doubt the RoadID will be much help). It will be red and also reflective, and I will almost certainly only wear it on the towpath or at night.
Also, purchased a water bottle. It is called "QuickDraw," and I like it very much. I'd been thinking of carrying water my long runs, but I cannot abide a hydration belt. This jobby has a hand strap (adjustable), reflective piping, and a little zip pocket (with a key hook!) for those Shot Bloks I kind of like. Mine is black (boring, but it was my only option) and the pouch fits over my Asics bottle, too.

So here I am, attempting to make my runs safer from unconsciousness and dehydration, and without resorting to the hated vest or lame belt (or giving up the beloved iPod). Every bit of reflectivity helps, no?

I also bought five raffle tickets for that Boston Marathon bib number, per KQB's email. Cross your fingers! I have found a training plan on RunnersWorld.com just in case. It also says I should have started training last week.

5 comments:

Kristina Buenafe said...

Just ordered a RoadID too. I haven't been doing much running at night or on isolated trails, but better safe than sorry. Do you use something to carry your cell phone when you run?

Wendy Cyphers said...

I have never carried my cell on a run, but that pocket on my QuickDraw is the right size, so I may consider it.

I have been far less than cautious, particularly on long runs: I wear headphones, don't carry water or plan for water stops, I don't always let someone know where I am or when I will be back, never carry ID or my cell phone, and am probably not reflective enough...

$19.99 plus reasonable shipping costs seems a small price to pay to cover some of those areas. I'm glad you got one, too!

Kristina Buenafe said...

Ooh, good call on letting people know where you are. I carry my ID, a credit card, a $20 bill and keys in a shoe pocket and usually take a bottle of Propel on long runs. I haven't yet found a water bottle that feels right, so I'm curious to hear what you think of that QuickDraw.

run.happy said...

doing some prep work for your long runs is a smart move.

Wendy Cyphers said...

About everyone in the new issue of Trail Runner is carrying one of those bottles- nary a hydration belt in sight!

I will use mine (and my RoadID) this Friday on the trail. Reports will ensue.

BTW, get a discount on your RoadID by using this code:

ThanksWendy453634