Tuesday, June 29, 2010

New shorts!

Chatted with the guy ringing me up and distracted him to the point that he gave me 20% off the whole thing (two pairs of shorts), instead of the single item listed on the coupon!  Woo!

I got a size up from a pair I own (boo!  But it will make me feel more confident running on the streets- or with a local running club I may join- if I have nice-fitting, no muffin-top-y shorts).  They are Nike and have a pseudo-compression boy short (not just bun cover lining) inside.  I also picked up the Nike Pro compression shorts in black with a long, 7" inseam (and a larger size).  I have the bun shorts in red for under my tights and hiking pants- I use them exclusively as running UNDERpants (am no Kara Goucher) and love the fit and feel.*  Gear-related, too: purchased updated RoadID, with husband's info (new) and on a shoe pouch!

Anyway, 400 calories in 43 minutes felt easy today.  I may have to drop down to 40 minutes and see how I do tomorrow!

As a side note, some of this audience may be aware that after nine years of vegetarianism, I have become entirely vegan in my dietary choices as of this year (while working on the rest).  So far, I feel great!  I can get comparable protein and calcium to cow's milk from soy, almond, or rice milk; seitan has a whopping 22 grams of protein per serving (and I love it!), etc.  I'm eating almost all my own cooking and preparing everything from scratch, whole food style.  We keep Boca burgers and fake nuggets on hand in case there's no time to cook, but at least 80% of what I eat is my own cooking (or fruits, veggies, nuts, etc.).  Here was my post-run snack/meal:

 
A half cup of oatmeal (dry), made with water in the microwave.  Before I nuked it, I tossed in a handful of frozen strawberries and a tablespoon-ish of chia seeds, which are supposed to be awesome for you.  I munched on some raw almonds while it cooked.  Should be around 430 calories (ha!) and about 10 g. protein, plus some much-needed fat (crucial for injury prevention, I read).  Pretty good, no?  It took my gross calorie intake today to just under 1800, netting me about 1400, which is in the healthy zone!

*I can link to these, I think, if anyone wants me to.  Or photograph myself in them?

No comments: