Tuesday, July 1, 2008

running on the beach

I've been in the Outer Banks since Saturday and have run twice on the beach so far. I ran for about 30 minutes with one of my fellow beach-goers in super humid weather on Saturday, and we managed to get lost by forgetting both the access path to the beach and the address of our beach house. A frat boy directed us to his aunt's house, where we found some very helpful people who let us check our gmail for the address and then Google map the way back.

Today I ran for 43 minutes on the beach at 7:30 a.m. The heat was so much less oppressive than it usually is, and there were interesting passerby (e.g., old lady in full pink regalia with poodle, crabs scuttling around on the sand) to look at during the run. The softer, flatter sand was wicked hard to run in--my shoes sank down two inches with every step. The hard packed sand nearer to the water was easier to run on surface-wise but also quite tilted.

No comments: