Saturday, February 7, 2009

cambridge long run

Distance: 13.9 miles
Time: 2:22:00
Pace: 10:13/mile
Temperature: 44 degrees
Time of Day: 10:00 a.m.
Buddies: Alett and Krista

Alett, Krista and I began our run in Cambridgeport this morning, scooting through puddles as we made our way to East Cambridge, Inman Square, Porter Square, North Cambridge, Fresh Pond, Harvard Square on our journey back to Central Square. The conversation made the 13.9 miles feel like much less! My MapMyRun printouts with appended street names worked pretty well--I only got confused at Fresh Pond, and it turns out we headed the correct way back to Harvard Square.

The weather felt unseasonably warm compared to the single-digit temperatures of late. At first, I felt extremely overheated because of my UnderArmour, headband and gloves but soon became grateful that I'd put them on. I liked the relative warmth but hated the enormous puddles caused by piles of melting snow. My shoes weighed about ten pounds each after soaking up tons of water!

Other thoughts:
1) I am now inspired to do more running in Cambridgeport, East Cambridge, and North Cambridge. I bet I'll like Fresh Pond more when the path isn't covered in water and ice.
2) I am beginning to like the Reebok pants which I'm wear-testing--they're a little big in the waist and long in the legs, but the butt pocket is convenient and the fit is fairly flattering.
3) I have got to take more than one gel when I run for 2+ hours.

1 comment:

Wendy Cyphers said...

Woo-hoo, long runs! Read: Wendy is jealous.

Let's hear about those Reebok tights and gear. Puma sent the store some pre-release shoes and I intend to write them up (so far, positive). I wonder if we generate some buzz that we might end up on someone's radar to test things...?