Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sesamoiditis

Well, boo on that run Friday night, because I think I have injured myself. The last mile and a half, I could feel the ball of my left foot hurting, and I thought perhaps I was developing a blister. Still sore and swollen the next day, I asked around at the store and conventional (and some medical) wisdom held that I should take ibuprophen and ice it (which, by the way, is a horrifying experience: try sticking YOUR foot into an ice bath and holding it there 20-30 minutes). Also, for the next time around, I should look for a shoe with more cushioning (particularly since the pain set in as I’m nearing the 300-400 mile marker in my current shoes). As I look at my feet and my stride, I think the 1120 is more of a corrective shoe than I need, anyway, and might over-correct for a problem I don’t have (i.e., I think I underpronate). Anyway, I have quit running for the weekend, iced the foot twice, and taken a few pills. These have resulted in a marked improvement. Failing to find much information online because of an inability to accurately describe my symptoms to WebMD, I stumbled across an article in August 2008’s Runner’s World about sesamoiditis (and, luckily, how to treat it and prevent its return). Figures I would survive knee surgery without slowing down, only to be felled by a less common and decidedly unpronounceable malady.

Here’s to an early rise and run tomorrow, and to new shoes next paycheck!

P.S. Kristina, will keep you posted about the Boston Half. One of the nice things about working at a running store- they completely understand when you request time off for a race.

1 comment:

Kristina Buenafe said...

Word, I might end up volunteering for it if I can't get a bib.