Tuesday, August 26, 2008

New toys.

Well, I was wearing the wrong shoes. The 1120 offers arch support I don’t need and probably exacerbates my supination. I know this. But I wasn’t aware that they are a half size smaller than I need. My 10-11 in normal shoes does NOT translate into the same in running shoes. Apparently, I need to be in 11.5 in women’s and 10 in men’s. Barf. In the right shoes, my feet look like boats.

I took home a Mizuno Wave Precision 9 and an Asics Gel-Nimbus 10 in ungodly large sizes. Totally different shoes, by the way, but both a good type of shoe for my foot (even though Eddie said I would tear through the Mizuno in a mere 150 miles, I suspect meaning due to my biomechanically inefficient stride). The Precision felt light and not particularly flexible, but seemed to make sense to my foot after a half mile or so (they have a fascinating technology, Mizuno running shoes. Read the details on the website). After 3.5 miles I threw on the Nimbi and got back on the treadmill for another 1.5. After the lightweight Precision, the extra-cushioned Nimbus felt almost cumbersome. But wearing the Nimbus also feels like running in pillows probably feels like, which is desirable and good. I think the Nimbus is the true keeper, just because they ought to last longer, but I can’t help adoring the sexy little Mizunos. They’re shiny and red and almost like racing flats. Surely I can keep them just for short runs and racing, right?

So I did about five miles total on the treadmill this afternoon and barely noticed my (almost completely healed) left foot. I think I over-diagnosed. It appears I simply had a bruise. Standout track of the day: “Matter vs. Space,” by Beulah, at 146 BPM.

No comments: