Friday, December 19, 2008

100th post!

Things that are making me run happy this week:

-Reebok Cold Compress running gear: In a pre-Reindeer Run fit of desperation and fear (of hypothermia), I snagged a mock turtleneck from this line of gear from Dick’s (where all Reebok gear was and still is on sale, FYI). I have since bought another AND a pair of tights*. I am truly in love! The tights are lightweight and stretchy, yet warm (they were fine on a mid-20 degree night run); the mock turtlenecks made for a most effective base layer. Although I found it strange that the tights have no drawstring or zippers at the bottom, they stay put comfortably (and I think I must look cuter in them than the old man pants).


-Adidas Trediac GTX 2: Finally decided on (and purchased) some trail shoes for winter running. I test-drove the Trediacs this past Wednesday night when the sidewalk were icky with slush and snow. They kept my feet dry (made with Gore-Tex, so totally waterproof) and the aggressive tread made me feel sure-footed on the iciest of surfaces. They’re also ridiculously cheap for so much shoe ($85 MSRP).

-IndieSoupRunner.com: Like me, these guys like indie rock, and they like to run. They combine the two with music reviews and themed mixes, available as podcasts on iTunes. I listened to the second hour of the marathon mix on the treadmill today, and it was awesome.

I have been holding up pretty well this week so far. I have gotten on the treadmill when necessary (rather than using the weather as an excuse to curl up with a book), and sticking to the mileage plan I wrote for the week. With the 3.35 route I did on Wednesday with the running club (and I learned that yes, this is paid time), plus the five miles of intervals I did this afternoon, I am at twenty-four miles for the week, set to hit thirty-one after an easy (ha!) seven-miler tomorrow.

A holiday/100th post celebratory puppy (the groomers gave her a candy cane bandanna):

*Since this is a Dick's-exclusive line, the photo is obviously from dickssportinggoods.com

3 comments:

Kristina Buenafe said...

Great recs! I'm gonna check out the podcasts and maybe Dick's in real life when I go to VA for the break.

Wendy Cyphers said...

Definitely go to the store. the sale may or may not extend online, and the shipping will kill the discount.

I'm just discovering the joy that is podcasts. Love.

run.happy said...

Thanks for the running music recommendations and cold weather gear tips.