Monday, December 29, 2008

Favorite Trails 4: Towpath! Finally! (Cleveland, OH)

Before:

It's been months since I got in a long run at the famed towpath. Today, it was a sloppy, muddy twelve miles (the path had mostly dried by the time I turned around to head back, but by then I was already caked in mud of various consistencies from knee to toe). 50 degrees, sunny, and I'm pretty sure I did it in about two hours (for context, my last long run on the towpath was October-ish and it was ten miles in about the same time)!



Remember, this map shows only outbound. I about cried seven miles in, from aching quads and a realization that I was still five plus miles away from my car. Then the Clif Shot Bloks seemed to kick in (always testing stuff, I am) and I felt strong enough all the way back to the car. I think I even sped up. I hurt, yeah, and probably shouldn't have attempted such aggressive mileage after seven miles yesterday, but I reasoned that I am hardcore and badass and should be able to do it. There's no crying on the towpath.

After:

3 comments:

James Tsai said...

Yay Wendy! Aw, such memories of that awesome, awesome towpath run... A little background for those of you who don't know about the Cuyahoga Towpath Trail (its real name is Ohio and Erie Canal Towpath). It is the feature of the Cuyahoga National Valley Park. I discovered it during my graduate studies years in Cleveland when I yearned for something like the W&OD or the C&O Canal path trails back home in DC. The appeal of a scenic run with mile markers were all helpful in attaining marathon training goals. Wendy, I'm glad you're making use of it and that 12 mile run is amazing for this time of the year, when most people are in offseason mode! Can't wait to run it with you and Liz sometime again in 2009!

run.happy said...

That was a good report back :) I was worried for you for a sec. Glad you got that extra boost for the return.

Kristina Buenafe said...

Very cool towpath! If I am ever in Cleveland, I want to go.