Wednesday, December 17, 2008

treadmill runs this week

I've only run twice this week (2.55 miles 23:39 on Monday, 3.45 miles 30:00 today). I'm not sure what I was thinking with my 7-days of workouts + 35 miles goal; I have to work up to that. On Monday I didn't even make it to three miles because my stomach started cramping up (likely from not eating for most of the day). Today felt better, but I'm still trying to shake a lot of stress and the malaise symptom of wanting to slink out the door and onto the T the second I see a treadmill. I came into the gym incredibly unhappy instead of psyched to run off the stress. I hope this changes. I've never trained for a marathon in the winter; Boston 2009 training should be a mental test of strength as well as an adventure.

A fellow teacher and fellow CRCer have offered their Boston training schedules. I'm going to look at both and see what works better for me during the upcoming 18 weeks. I'm also looking forward to starting up yoga, lifting, and spinning. I don't anticipate being as cheerful or as excited about running as I was this summer, however. For the past few weeks I've been feeling alternately powerless, stressed, or distraught and I've been using running as a distraction mechanism, and it's only going to continue.

3 comments:

Wendy Cyphers said...

How about swimming, too?

Nothing takes the place of actual running (I am blogging soon about my cold weather preparation discoveries), but cross training like a mofo could break up the monotony and up your fitness.

I'm sad you have had such trouble on the Tmill. I would say it gets easier, but I'm not sure it does.

run.happy said...

you and me, we will rise to the challenge :) (hopefully)

Kristina Buenafe said...

I think it's mentally getting easier :) In my first free personal training session I learned about the new stretching machines in the gym and that will likely help the running along with yoga & pilates! w00t to challenges in '09!