Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Big day.

Today, I ran a lot. I did my almost-five miler around noon (forced myself to slow it down and focus on form and breathing) in about 46 minutes. It had stopped spitting precipitation of indeterminate form as I dressed for the treadmill, so I took the chance that it would last and added a few layers. In fact, despite the 34 degree weather, I got a bit too warm. It's good to know I can overdo it; I learn more and more each run.

Then tonight, in a show of workplace solidarity and all-around trooper-ness, I went in and ran with the Striders on my day off. My boss did not acknowledge my presence (but I had the sneaking suspicion he gave me the evening off so that I would come in and run). I was glad I showed up; a customer to whom I'd sold some really nice shoes last week came! She's recovering from some serious shin splints and reduced fitness/activity, and I'd recommended she come on Wednesdays so she'd have a route and pacers (not to mention encouragement). Here's the route the slowpokes* and I took:



I was mostly pleased that there were so many runners (biggest turnout I've seen yet), and that there was a range of fitness levels and speeds (i.e., people slower than I am!). It also upped my mileage for the day from a shaky almost five to a solid eight.

And then I went straight to Zumba, which was actually kind of fun. Not super intense, cardio-wise, but it got my heart rate up, and I could feel different muscles working than just the ones I use to run. I think it will be good cross-training. I may even become coordinated and fancify my footwork! For $3 at the local Bally's, even I can afford to make it out there once or twice a week.

So I'm curling up in sweatpants and gearing up for runs the next couple of days. I think I will rest tomorrow (some slow yoga, lots of green tea), do 12 miles on the towpath on Friday (since I have it off), and follow it up with an almost-seven-miler on Saturday. Ass = pretty much back in gear this week!

*No offense! It was nice to have a poky run. It was also nice to have progressed enough in less than a year so that 3.35 miles at 10:30-11:00 pace felt sort of poky and relaxed (i.e., not like death was imminent).

3 comments:

Kristina Buenafe said...

Awesome! I'm inspired :)

James Tsai said...

you inspired me too, Wendy! You know, I may have to come up to Cleveland in January for a visit and do a run with you on the ol' towpath, if it's not covered in snow (which it will be.) eh. we can do our usual shenanigans and drink. :)

run.happy said...

Cool, you can run for work. what an incentive.