Monday, December 1, 2008

Liz's first entry

I run long distances whenever I can... and I don't mind doing it on a treadmill. In fact, most of the year I train on a treadmill. It's my meditation. And, at the gym here, they have tv monitors on. Which I don't really understand.....

They call it "cardio theater" but the only stations offered are news, court tv, or the Spanish channel. Shouldn't I expect to see a movie? So, I just leave my iPod on and stare mindlessly at news hosts. Is that bad? Am I a tv addict?

Running on the treadmill has its pros and cons. Importantly, I don't use elevation as much as I should. But, it does help me train mentally for the task of being alone with my thoughts for a long period of time while moving my legs. For me, and I think for other distance runners, training to do something for 2 or 4 or more hours is 50% of the game. I need mental strength more than anything. For some lucky reason, I don't get a lot of leg cramps (one of the trainers at my gym here In Shape City thinks my big legs help avoid this because they can provide more oxygen to muscles). The trick for me is being in the right mentality.

When I started running I was actually running away from things in my life that I did not like. The longer I stayed out on a run, the longer I could avoid having to deal with other aspects of my daily life. That was good - it was my therapy (and helped me get into great shape!). Now, all-in-all, my life has been much better. I don't really have those same things to avoid or try to escape. So, why do I keep running?

Part of the reason might be that I am afraid to stop. Afraid I would never be in such good shape again. Afraid I will get bored. What happens to people who used to run but don't anymore?

3 comments:

Kristina Buenafe said...

Welcome! I'm impressed--I've never come close to placing in a division, so I think 3rd is awesome!

Wendy Cyphers said...

She also wins sometimes.

The Real Liz said...

Ok, I should go and edit my post. I have been competition starved lately (living in the middle of nowhere for long enough can make anyone a little bonkers). I think that running is a great part of my life because it is something that I can do alone or with others, and either way I am able to improve my ability. It's really about having fun for me - and though winning is fun, feeling good about my own growth is really what keeps me pounding pavement.