Friday, December 19, 2008

night running

After moving to Northern Virginia from Charlottesville five years ago, I ceased my night running because I didn't feel as safe running in Arlington as I did in the neighborhoods around UVA. My outside runs stayed in Arlington neighborhoods and the Custis trail for two years, then to the W&OD trail for another two. Most other runs occurred on the Ballston or Tysons' Gold's Gyms treadmills. There were a couple of 5:30 a.m. runs in Arlington (before I was used to an early schedule) and a few night runs on the Fairfax W&OD with a boyfriend who, unlike me, wasn't afraid of being accosted on the trail at night. When I first moved to Boston, I was still a major Nervous Nellie while walking around my neighborhood in the day, so I didn't even consider running around it at night. Thank goodness that's changed! I got a lot more serious about running during summer 2008 and soon grew to cherish the blazing heat and humidity that accompanied my training runs.

Last night I went on my second night run of the winter. Armed with a Patagonia Capilene baselayer, InSport tights, pants, ski hat, and my 2008 Boston Marathon volunteer jacket, I trotted out into the Central Square cold. I'd skipped my CRC track workout (which I should go do right now, in fact) because I felt like crap, but my roommate convinced me to just go outside and go around the block. Her wily powers are good...when used for good. Like she said, there were plenty of other runners scooting around, and I ended up scooting down to the river, over to Harvard Square, and back to our apartment. I could get used to this night running. I'll stick to the well-lit and well-traversed areas (no going east of Prospect Street for me, I've already been harassed there in mid-day), get some more UnderArmour and enjoy this cold scooting!

2 comments:

Wendy Cyphers said...

You are wise to run only west of Prospect.

run.happy said...

i heart night running. too bad it's limited as you described.