Sunday, December 28, 2008

Favorite Trails 3: Smithsonian to Zoo (D.C)

Time of Day: 11:00 a.m.
Approximate distance: 4.42 miles
Time: 47:56
Temperature: 64 degrees
Running buddy: Johnny from CRC



Today my pal Johnny and I met at the Mall entrance to the Smithsonian metro for a pre-football run. We had planned on just running the Mall, but decided to meander off toward the Lincoln Memorial and see where our whimsy took us. The weather stayed balmy as we picked up Rock Creek by the Kennedy Center and followed it all the way to the zoo, stopping at the side furthest away from the panda exhibit. Several other winter runners scooted past us going the opposite way. Surprisingly, there was one dude decked out in full black CWX gear. He must have been quite warm given the temperature! We took a cooldown walk through the zoo, stopping to admire ostriches and orangutans along the way. We continued walking to the Cleveland Park metro stop, where we happily chomped our way through California Tortilla burritos.

I'm thankful for the warm weather (which occurs so often that it's no longer unseasonable) and good running buddies. I often worry about running buddies becoming irritated with my slowness and think that this worrying affects the first ten minutes of any buddy run. After the first ten minutes, my muscles have usually warmed up and I'm usually settled into conversation, and the rest of the run turns out much better than expected. I've been lucky with Cambridge running buddies and blogidarity ones--James and Sam are both good running buddies, and I bet that Wendy, Liz, and run.happy must be too!

4 comments:

run.happy said...

Sounds like a good run. What is CWX gear? Cold weather extreme? I'm glad you made it out.

Kristina Buenafe said...

I am not sure what it means--I just recognize it as the Spiderman-looking pants. They look like he looks when he is Venom.

Wendy Cyphers said...

CW-X is badass (and expensive) gear, designed to (in a very technologically advanced manner) compress muscles (hence the vein-y look), providing support while running and speeding recovery. Conventional wisdom and testimonials say it works.

P.S. I think the CW means "conditioning wear"; they do warm weather stuff, too.

James Tsai said...

nice comment Wendy! You are the guru of running gear for our blog, no doubt. :) Great run to Kristina! Looks like it was gorgeous yesterday.